RESOLUTION NO. RS2014-1000
A resolution requesting Nashville Electric Service to implement the Change for Charity program.
WHEREAS, the bitterly cold weather in the Nashville area this year has caused a significant increase in home heating bills and made circumstances worse for Nashville Electric Service (NES) customers who are unable to pay their electric bill; and
WHEREAS, although NES has a policy whereby disconnections are suspended when the temperature is not expected to rise above 32 degrees, the temperature often falls well below the freezing mark at night, leaving disconnected customers without heat; and
WHEREAS, in July 2008, Nashville Electric Service (NES) proposed a program called “Change for Charity” to raise funds for customers in need by rounding up electric bills to the next whole dollar amount; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to NES’s proposed program, 80% of the funds collected would be designated for social services to be administered by NES with the remaining 20% to be allocated as grants to local 501.c.3 charitable organizations; and
WHEREAS, the 2008 Change for Charity proposal was an “opt-out” program, meaning any NES customer not wanting to participate could advise NES by phone, complete a simple online form, or check a box on the customer’s billing statement; and
WHEREAS, NES decided not to implement the Change for Charity program in 2008 as a result of discussions with certain Members of Council at the time; and
WHEREAS, NES estimates that the Change for Charity program, or a similar round-up program, would generate in excess of $1 million annually for charitable purposes; and
WHEREAS, in light of the great need for assistance to customers struggling to pay their electric bills, and the limited governmental funds made available for such assistance, it is fitting and proper that the Metropolitan Council go on record as endorsing the Change for Charity program and requesting NES to implement the program as soon as possible.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT
OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. That the Metropolitan County Council hereby goes on record as requesting Nashville Electric Service to implement the Change for Charity program.
Section 2. The Metropolitan Clerk is directed to send a copy of this Resolution to Decosta Jenkins, the President and CEO of Nashville Electric Service, and to each member of the NES board of directors.
Section 3. That this Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Jerry Maynard, Fabian Bedne
|Referred to:||Budget & Finance Committee|
|Introduced:||February 18, 2014|
|Adopted:||February 18, 2014|
|Returned Unsigned by Mayor:||February 19, 2014|
Requests for ADA accommodation should be directed to the Metropolitan Clerk at 615/862-6770.