Fort Negley Visitors Center and Park
The Fort Negley Visitors Center is a historical education and outdoor recreation center of the Nashville Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation. Fort Negley is a place where people and history come together. It is a place to learn that we are a part of history and not apart from it. The visitors center is a resource for exploring the delicate relationship between Nashville and the Federal Government during the Civil War and learning about the site's relevance in the 20th century and beyond.
Offerings and Services
- Interactive exhibits and two 20 minute videos covering the 1862 surrender of Nashville and the building of Fort Negley
- Education panels along paved paths for self-guided walking tours
- Educated staff and volunteers available to answer questions at the information desk
- Programming for school field trips and scout groups, history and nature education events, tours for scheduled groups and living history events
- A great place to walk and bring a leashed dog
- A great view of the city during park hours
- Home of the Nashville Civil War Roundtable and Fort Donelson Camp 62, Sons of Union Veterans
Fort Negley is located in South Nashville 2 miles from the entertainment, music and sports venues of Lower Broadway in Downtown Nashville.
It is the mission of the Fort Negley Visitors Center to promote a greater understanding of the social, political, and military forces central to Nashville and Middle Tennessee during the era of sectional conflict in American history.
- We promote historical education based on facts and primary sources
- We strive to offer a variety of quality programs
- We employ and cultivate a staff dedicated to enhancing the visitor experience
- We encourage visitors to continue the search for knowledge
- We provide a safe environment for people to learn and discuss
Support the Fort
Interested in joining the Friends of Fort Negley? Email us for more information.
The Friends of Fort Negley Gift Shop, located in the visitors center, offers a variety of Civil War related books and collectibles. All proceeds benefit the site.